Improving Adoptability Program:
One of Pets Alive’s most important goals is to find "forever homes" for all of our animals. The dogs that are in our care come in all shapes, sizes, colors and most importantly, personalities.
Our Improving Adoptability program is aimed at helping those dogs whose current behaviors reduce their chances of becoming a member of a new family.
The core teaching of this program is simple: We'll get the behavior that we reinforce.
For our dogs that translates into a series of rewards and ALWAYS humane positive reinforcement for the behavior we want. Members of this special group of volunteers learn and use the basic principles of behavior modification to help shape the responses of the dogs that are the most difficult to adopt.
As in any relationship, there are at least three components: the dog, the environment and a human! The people in this very special group come to understand that they are an important part in a dog's life and future.
And there's more! For those individuals who are dedicated and demonstrate an ability to work with these great dogs, there is a brand new opportunity: An invitation to become a member of our elite group - the "Improving Adoptability Crew" team members!
So what do you think? Want to change the life of a dog for the better? Please join our Improving Adoptability program.
To get more involved or become a part of this team, no experience is necessary! Email email@example.com for more information.
TNR stands for TRAP, NEUTER, RETURN.
It is what our volunteer team of trappers do every week for the towns of Middletown and Wallkill. We would love to expand this program, and help other communities, but we are unable to because of the lack of reliable volunteers to help. Can you give us a few hours a week?
There are many jobs that you can do for the feral cat TNR program.
MOST of these jobs can be done before or AFTER your regular job. We usually trap at night. The cat care can be done early in the morning or after you get off work.
- You can help trap the cats.
- You can help transport the cats or release the cats.
- You can help care for the cats while here in our TNR room recovering from medical care and altering (we alter every cat, but we also help them all with any injuries or medical care they need before we release them).
- You can help do TNR laundry (bring it home, wash it, bring it back)
- You can help by handing out flyers in the areas we are about to trap (so people with outdoor cats will keep them in those days).
Please consider helping us help the community.
Many people have no idea how many feral cats are out there.
There are literally HUNDREDS.
We are backed up with requests to trap and help. More than a dozen locations are waiting for us, and we are limited ONLY because of our need for more volunteers for this program. We will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know.
Please consider helping us to help them - and to help your neighbors!
- Beacon Barks - Saturday April, 26 th, 10-3pm, in Beacon, NY
Stop on by and visit the Pets Alive volunteers and furry adoptable's as we celebrate on Main Street in Beacon. Bring the two and four legged kids for a day filled with fun, entertainment and lots of adorable animals.
- Best Friends Super Adoption Weekend - April 25th, 26th & 27th at the Westchester Community Center. It's the biggest adoption event in the New York area. Come on out and find your new furry companion. We'll have dogs and cats available for adoption. Visit Best Friends at http://bestfriends.org/what-we-do/events/pet-super-adoptions/ for times.
- Weekly Volunteer Orientation - Every Saturday at noon. No need to make a reservation, just be here by 12:00 PM ready to learn how to safely interact with the animals at Pets Alive! Come help the animals transition from being rescued to being adopted and make some new friends at the same time. Check out our volunteer page for more information and to fill out our volunteer opportunity form.
- Improving Adoptability - Every Saturday at 11am
Come work with our staff and dogs on improving adoptability. We will show you techniques to help our dogs overcome their issues to help them get adopted! No appointment needed, must attend a general orientation prior to participating. Class meets in the adoption room at Pets Alive.
Monthly Pets Alive Tour - 1st Saturday of every month - No need to make a reservation, just be here by 11:00 AM! We request a donation of $10 for tours ($5 for kids). Please be aware that tours are indoor and outdoor, rain or shine. Tour meets at the Dog Kennel building...please be sure to wear appropriate footwear!